Tuesday 23 November 2010

Dentist is ok!

If you haven't already met, let me introduce you to my 3 year old son. Only just 3 mind, it was his birthday last week. He is a gorgeous little chappy, always got a nice smile and says please and thank you at the right times. However, he has a terrible fear of hairdressers and dentists. Hairdressers refuse to cut his hair due to his frantic movements, screaming in fear and the inevitable 'emptying' of his stomach all over them due to his swallowing vast qualtities of hair! Visits to the dentist were not much better, just less hair and vomit.

So, yesterday I was overcome with fear and dread when I noticed a 4.15 appointment at the dentist. And it was a new dentist as our old one had stopped providing free NHS care for children. Double problem. Right, I thought, it is about time hubby saw just how difficult it is. (he goes to yet a different dentist for reasons I cannot fathom other than to avoid having to take our children!!) So very politely suggested that he might like to join us.


We solemly walked into the surgery at 4.10. I quickly glanced around to waiting room hoping not to see anyone I knew. About 20 past we were invited into the 'room'. I made eldest son go first. Yes everything was fine, and being 14 years old he had stopped screaming at the dentist some time ago. So 5 year old daughter was next. She was a bit nervous and I had to hold her hand, but everything was ok. She too had stopped screaming some time after she started school. Now it was the time for the little man. I daren't look at him in his daddy's arms, assuming he was white as a sheet and clinging on for dear life lest someone should make him sit in the chair and a strange man look at his teeth. Holding my breath for some time I courageously looked his way only to see him fighting out of daddys arms, running into the chair and happily opening his mouth so wide I'm sure his tonsils could be seen from the moon. Daddy now thinks I made the whole 'he is really scared of the dentist and will have to be restrained' story up, and is unlikely to help again. But at least our son had his teeth looked at and the dentist was very impressed with his pearly whites!

Just noticed we have a hair appointment later......................

No comments:

Post a Comment